Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Just waiting......

The indigo plants are starting to grow, but I'm having to water them just about every day.  The soil is very sandy and well drained so my mornings are pretty much watering, weeding and talking to the indigo.  I've also planted around 30 various heirloom tomato plants, an assortment of peppers and eggplants, marigolds between the tomatoes, red amaranth (a gift from a friend), cosmos seeds and mammoth sunflower seeds.  The dyer's coreopsis seed came today and I'm hoping the Hopi black sunflower seed come by the end of the week.  Everything is mulched with goat compost and now I'm adding wood chips on top of the compost trying to keep the soil moist and cool.  Who needs a gym!

I thought I would share some more pictures from the farm.  



 These are the little indigo plants.  Soon they will be approximately 10 feet tall!



The bees!  Humm....I wonder how indigo honey would taste?



How many of you have ever seen an olive blossom?  I haven't, they are very small and interesting.  Historically, olives were one of the plants the the colonists were encouraged to grow and there were several olive groves in the Lowcountry  but they were destroyed by hurricanes.  We now have active olive groves again!  Check out the Georgia Olive Oil web site.



And finally, let me introduce you to Beauregard.  He is a bottle fed baby and is quite a character, wanting to suck on your fingers and follow you around.   Beau will be the new herd sire as he's not genetically related to any of the females.

Soon I will be posting more on Eliza and her family, as well as some of the other interesting historical people that were involved in the indigo industry in the Lowcountry.

No comments:

Post a Comment